Monday, August 6, 2007

My "Carnival" Skirt





This story starts with a great bargain find at Jo-Ann's. I thought this lightweight embroidered cotton was beautiful, and would make a great skirt. It took me a few months, but I found the perfect pattern that would allow me to set the border at the hem, with Vogue 2894, an Oscar de la Renta design. Really easy instructions to follow, and a flattering fit (I was nervous the pleats would made me look wider in the hips). Finished it up, tried it on, at which point I was informed that I looked like a gypsy headed to the carnival. Hmmm.... truth or fiction? I couldn't be swayed, I really liked it, so I forged ahead with a red linen jacket to match, using the same Vogue pattern. Fully lined, 3/4 sleeves and cropped, it was a style I've seen a lot this season, and would be great with jeans, too. So comfortable, I'm really happy with the outcome, and am trying to keep the carnival comment silent.


2 comments:

big sister said...

I love this skirt. I would like to see the colors in the fabric closer. This skirt says "Look at Me!" I love it and I am sure you will have alot of questions as to where you purchased it.

Ana said...

Hi Kristine, I found your blog through Pattern Review and I love it! You are a great seamstress.

I wanted to ask you if you think the sizing for this pattern is right on or if it has crazy amounts of ease; I'm trying to decide on the skirt size and can't quite figure out the finished size of the waistband with that side fold... I would really appreciate your help.