Sunday, March 2, 2008

February Challenges







My goal was to complete 4 projects, but these 2 were my only accomplishments!






The blouse is Simplicity 3535, a Project Runway pattern with sleeve modifications. I purchased the fabric at JoAnn's. It was a long process, placing the pattern pieces so the large stripes would occur at the hems of the sleeves and tunic, and matching stripes along the seams, but well worth it. I made a size smaller than the pattern called for because of the fullness of the blouse. Also, I had intended to have bell sleeves, but again, the fullness in the center with a full sleeve wasn't doing my body shape any favors, so I pleated the sleeve hem and decorated each side with 3 small buttons. I received many compliments when I wore it to work, so it must've turned out well, although I doubt I'll use the pattern again, as it really doesn't compliment my body shape.

The coat is Vogue 2988 made of wool I purchased at the American Sewing Expo in Novi, MI (Sept. 2007). The lining I bought at Haberman's in Royal Oak, as well as the buttons. This is the first "couture" garment I've ever made, as almost every seam is pressed open and hand-stitched down to reduce bulk. It is also fully interfaced with fusible knit interfacing. Another pain, as the pattern called for 60" wide interfacing which apparently doesn't exist in my corner of the world! I modified the sleeve here also, as it was rather short, and very wide! So I gathered the hem, and added a cuff, which makes it perfect.
Anyhow, I produced a couple of very well made garments this month. Oh, and I got to use my custom labels that DH bought me for Christmas (see top).






3 comments:

Bunny said...

I originally saw these on the Gatherings but once again want to say they are gorgeous! Your manipulation of the stripes is just so so cool. And that jacket is to die for! Great job, KB!
Also, thanks for puttin my blog in your blog roll. Greatly appreciated!

Bunny said...

Just wanted to add you did an awesome job modifying the patterns - my type of sewing! Thanks for putting me on your blog roll. will do the same!Bunny

Linda L said...

I like both of these projects. I really admire what you did with the stripes on the top!