Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I Need Your Advice...





My nephew's wedding is next weekend, and I'm having some issues with my outfit!


My dress is underway, so that's not the issue. I'm making BWOF Sept. 2008 Dress 132, and I'm using a gorgeous copper silk jersey. I love this fabric, it's so soft and silky, but I have to admit... If chiffon is like sewing on air, then silk jersey is like sewing with water! I shortened the dress to knee length, and fell in love with the color when I saw it everywhere this fall!


Anyhow, the weather here in Michigan is unpredictable, and I've bought fabric to make a jacket to wear with the dress. This fabulous hand-painted silk dupioni (both fabrics came from Haberman's Fabrics in Royal Oak, Mi purchased at the American Sewing Expo this year!) is a perfect match, but I'm not quite sure what style jacket to make.


Option 1. A Bolero using McCall's 3033. I like style C.


Concerns: Will the edge ruffle compete with the pleated waistband on the dress? And, I'd like to be able to wear this with more than this dress (dress pants or jeans), do you think it would work?

Option 2: Use a different jacket/shrug pattern. I have 2 yards of 54" wide silk, and my body style (pear) combined with this gathers on this dress make me think I need to choose a shorter style that will end at the waist or above. FYI: the skirt joins the pleated waistband at the waist. Maybe a Chanel style neckline (no lapel) with a shorter hem and sleeve length?

Option 3: Forget the painted silk, and use a black suiting from the stash to make a jacket.

Keep in mind I have 10 days to get these pieces done! The dress is going well, so I'm not too worried about that. I should be ready for the jacket by this weekend.


Any and all ideas are welcome... please help me decide the right style to complement the dress and the fabric!

5 comments:

Dawn said...

I think the ruffles will be fine if they are just below the waistband of the dress. If there is a button or some other closure I think it will be perfect. If the ruffles end at mid-waist, then I think it will be distracting. That's only me two cents though. :) I love that dress!!! I'm excited to see it on you.

Summerset said...

I agree with Dawn that is might depend on where the ruffle hits you on your body and the dress. Anothe roption would be to make the jacket without the ruffle - just leave it out. The fabric is gorgeous and can stand on its own without the ruffle.

Meg said...

I'm not crazy about the ruffles with the dress style. If you were here in my area I'd drag you off to a trim store in the garment district to find a fabulous trim to go around the edge of the McCalls pattern. But I agree with Summerset, the jacket can stand on its own without ruffle or trim.

Anonymous said...

I love the fabric! The fabric is so pretty to stand on its own--I like the bolero without ruffle. Another idea...could you just make a rectangle/"pashmina-type" wrap instead of the bolero? Just an idea! Can't wait to see it!

Bunny said...

Here's my idea: Make the jacket without the ruffle. End it at the bottom edge of your "cumberbund". Taper it in slightly to accentuate your waist. Do the sleeves 3/4 length with a peaked turn back cuff. JM.02. Can't wait to see what you decide. the fabric is fabulous and does not need any further embellishment.