Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Prom Dress... Finished!!!

Just a tiny dart required on the bodice edge to eliminate an outside gaping, I hemmed it last night, and delivered it today. I think the bust appears bigger than reality because of the cups I stitched in between the lining and the satin. Please, also keep in mind that my dressform is not set to her measurements in this photo! I'm eager to see it on her with hair and make-up done, I know with her coloring that she will be stunning! Her boyfriend has asked if I have enough fabric to make him a matching tie, so if anyone out there has recommendations (patterns/construction), I'm all ears!!! Here is a view of the back of the bodice, the angled border piece is the one that I had to draft from scratch to accomodate the lowered center back. I learned a lot about working from the fitting muslin on this project!
Here's a view of the inside lining of the bodice. I wasn't as super neat and tidy as I could've been, but I had to gather the lining edge and tack it down at the same time. You can also see how I serged the edges of the skirt pieces and pressed them open.

**************************************************
Last night I was also busy knocking out a few embroidery orders. Business has been quiet lately, which has been nice for my "fun" sewing, but it's also nice to make money! I did some sweatpants and a knit cap for our baseball coach and a number of items (10!) for the Lacrosse coach. The logo below is one that I actually created myself! I absolutely love my editing software (Brother PE Design 8.0), and it takes all the pain out of the editing that clients ask for. It's paid itself off, so you know it's getting the job done!!!
One little trick that I use when when placing a logo is to take an index card, and cut it down to the dimensions of the logo. I use my small hole punch in the center and at the center of each edge. My chalk pencil marks each hole perfectly, and when the card is moved, I know exactly where to center my hoop. Ta-da!!!
Kind of hard to see (sorry), but the 5 light dots on the shirt above are the marks I'm talking about.

**********************************


The May BWOF came in the mail yesterday, and it's FILLED with wonderful summery dresses and my head is spinning (and Threads came today)... that sewing ADD is popping up again! Dawn mentioned a 4 piece SWAP contest at PR, so maybe that will help keep me on task! Right now I've got a skirt nearly done, and DH put in a request for some short sleeve button downs, so we'll have to see... that denim (uncut) and dress pattern is still on my table!!!

One last thing: Have you heard about the movie "Julie, Julia" coming out in August? It stars Meryl Streep (Julia Child) and Amy Adams (Julie Powell), and is about a lady (Adams) who does a daily blog while she blogs her way through Child's cookbook. I saw a preview last night, and it made me think of how much I've enjoyed blogging about sewing and how much I've learned from all of your blogs and comments. I really appreciate your input and advice, so thanks to all of you for your help and friendship!

Parting Shot: My daughter handed me this afterschool today and said, "Happy Mother's Day!"

11 comments:

cheryl said...

There are a variety of ties, bow ties, even a cumberbund one Burdastyle.com. I checked and I think that most of them are even still free!

Julia said...

Beautiful dress! There used to be lots of tie patterns. I remember in the 70's making them for my husband. They are easy to make.

gwensews said...

That's a lovely dress. The lady will feel like a princess in it!

Shannon said...

Gorgeous dress and the colour is just luscious!

Bunny said...

Awwww, I love the artwork. It's priceless!

The gown is stunning. That color is just so pretty.

Beth Conky said...

The dress is beautiful. Love the color. She'll love being in a one of kind dress. Your daughters picture is adorable.

Dawn said...

Wow, the dress turned out great! Today's the first day of the SWAP so you better get ready. I have a vest to finish and then I'm going to start on the dress.

Meg said...

Well we have to see the prom photos now! This dress turned out great and you should be very proud of your efforts.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful prom dress. I just finished altering a strapless dress that she didn't want strapless. Go figure? I turned out okay The girl you sewed the dress for is going to be a knockout!

Dana said...

Nice job on the dress - that color is so beautiful!

What a sweet early mother's day surprise!

angie.a said...

That is a gorgeous dress. Just beautiful!