Sunday, April 5, 2009

Slam-dunk!!!

I needed a no-brainer project, and had the knit all washed and ready for cutting. I knew exactly what to make... Butterick 4789. I've made this dress once before and it brings compliments each time I wear it. It's the one thing I've ever made that my husband really thought I bought at a store! This twist front, short sleeve, knee length dress will perfect in a couple weeks when the weather warms up and spring officially arrives. The fabric is jersey knit from Ressy's co-op, in dark brown with ivory/pink swirls. I highly recommend a swirly pattern that will camoflage the center front and back seams if you choose to make this up for yourself!
From cutting to hemming, this dress was a morning project. 2 pattern pieces (front and back) and 2 yds of fabric. Although there are center front and center back seams, there are no closures, and for work, I'll throw a camisole underneath. Here's the view of the back...

And a close-up of the twist front...
What's with the firetrucks? DH is my photographer, but stuck at work today. So we did the photo shoot at the station, since I really, really wanted to show of my success a.s.a.p.!



I've been trying to think of some "fire" , "hot" play on words, but nothings coming to mind...
I really did need a "slam-dunk" project after the jacket, and in case you're not aware, March Madness is coming to a close with our home team, the Michigan State Spartans playing in the finals tomorrow night!!! I have a niece and nephew who both attend MSU, so GO GREEN, GO WHITE!

So, please breathe a sigh of relief along with me, I'm happy again, and loving this dress!!!

18 comments:

kathy said...

So cute Love the fabric You are very talented!!!!!

Amanda S. said...

Gorgeous dress!!! You've inspired me to purchase this pattern. Your story brings to mind the troubles I had last summer with a long string of wadders. I found a pattern to make that had been positively reviewed almost 50 times on PR. I really needed something to turn out to bring back some confidence. :)

Maryissewfast said...

Love that dress and the firetrucks! My photographer is a fireman too!

Shannon said...

That dress looks fabulous on you!

Bunny said...

Wonderful dress and it looks fabulous on you! I love the fire truck pictures, very "model".

Adrienne said...

Love it! I love your pictures also!!!

Julia said...

Wow that is great! You have the perfect figure for it too!

Joyce in NC said...

I love the dress. It looks fabulous on you. The firetruck is a good background. I must say go Carolina (I am an alum).
Joyce in NC

gwensews said...

Fabulous dress! And, it looks wonderful on you. I'm glad you're out of your sewing funk. Sometimes, things just go wrong for a while--like the stars are not aligned properly or there are gremlins in the sewing room.

Dawn said...

That's a great dress!!!!

Meg said...

Great photo shoot! I love this dress and the jacket you made.

Tamara said...

Your dress looks so beautiful on you!

Sigrid said...

Wonderful dress. Great fit and you're modelling it beautifully.

Summerset said...

No joke! You look fabulous in this style and fabric! BTW, your jacket turned out great, too!

Michelle said...

This looks fabulous!! I had totally passed over this pattern because the picture on the envelope was just "meh."

But I will totally get it now based on how awesome it came out for you!! Fantastic dress!!

Cennetta said...

Very nice dress. I've had this pattern in my collection for a while. Maybe I'll give it a try soon. Quick and easy is always good.

Omega said...

Very cute, looks great on you.

Unknown said...

That dress looks fabulous. g