Saturday, September 5, 2009

Good-bye, Summer! Hello, Fall!

Progress on the Chanel jacket is very, very slow with school starting this week. I had meetings all day both Wednesday and Thursday, and had to hit Costco yesterday to stock up on juice boxes and lunch box stuff! Tuesday morning will come too soon (sob, sob)! We had the most wonderful summer, and I really hate seeing it come to an end. Little Man gave up the paci and diapers, and Little Miss Princess learned how to swim (underwater, too) and ride without training wheels. Our family had a blast camping, DH passed his Paramedic test, and I finally had my dream trip to NYC. Tuesday will find me greeting many juniors and seniors during 3 hours of Trig and 2 hours of AP Statistics, as Little Miss Princess boards the bus 1st grade... Oh, and I almost forgot to update you: I've qualified for the fashion show at the American Sewing Expo in September, and will model my dress in Saturday's fashion show! There are 30 finalists (50 entries), and we're competing for the grand prize of a $1000 gift certificate to fabric.com! If that's not the icing on the cake of an amazing summer, I don't know what is!

So, back to sewing! All pieces are finally quilted, and today I was able to assemble the body of the jacket. Here you can see that the boucle is stitched together, but the lining is not. The seam allowances are trimmed to about 3/4", pressed open, but not stitched down.
Below you can the lining on the left side is pinned down over the open seam allowance of the boucle. Then the right side is smoothed down over it, folded under, and will be fell stitched closed.
Ick. Gack. Ugh. Barf. I hate handstitching. There must've been a shortage on "patience" when they were handing out the goods when I was born, but I will suck it up, grab the wonderful hand-sewing needles I got from Susan, and turn on a good movie. Once all the seam allowances in the bodice are cleaned and closed, then I will attach the sleeves and close up the linings there, too. The fit had to be checked one last time (and can be adjusted if necessary) before attaching the sleeves.

Between my video of Susan explaining everything in NY and Threads issue #121, I really feel like I have a good understanding of the remaining steps. If you are doing the Chanel Jacket Sew Along, or have interest in ever making a Chanel jacket, I highly recommend calling Threads and ordering issue #121 (January 2006), it's exactly how Susan instructed me during my class in NY. Call me crazy, but I'm actually going to do this all over again, and make another jacket (down the road). I think I just have to prove to myself that I can (all by myself)!

Hope you all have a wonderful week. I have the stinking suspicion that mine will be exhausting...

15 comments:

Bunny said...

Your jacket construction is fascinating. If you start one this winter I may sew one along with you, after the holidays maybe? I have been thinking of making one for a while and you are egging me on.

Huge congratulations on becomeing a finalist in the Threads contest. I had no doubt you would. Now I will be listening to hear the yelp all the way to the Adirondacks when they hand you the big check. Good luck!

Kathi said...

Congratulations on becoming a finalist!!
I look forward to watching the remainder of your progress. I completely understand your lack of patience with the hand sewing!

JoanneM said...

Many congrats Kristine, The dress is even more creative in real life!!! Jacket looks wonderful,you have much to be proud of!!!

Karen said...

Do Aubrys have patience Aunt Kris?

Michelle said...

Handstitching is exactly the reason that I have been working on J's coat for a year. I hate hand stitching! And, I'm not very good at it.

Your jacket is looking fantastic! I have a question for you though...does your jacket have pockets? Mine does, and I am thinking about how to attach them with the whole quilting the lining thing.

If I attach them normally, then the seams will be visible on the lining. If I want them to be not visible, then I will need to handsew them on. But if I handsew them, they will be just decorative, because that won't be very sturdy.

But if they are just decorative, then why put them on at all?

It's a conundrum!

Lisette M said...

Congratulations on qualifying! I'm sure it will be much fun to model your creation. The jacket is looking good!

Unknown said...

Michelle: The pockets are one of the last things I will add, and they will be handstitched. Purely decorative, but by using a doubling up the thread and taking smaller stitches, I think the pockets will stay on fine. When I get there, the plan is to shape the pockets, add the trim and button, apply the lining, and attach by hand.

Marybeth said...

Wow! Congratulations on qualifying for the fashion show! Good luck!!!

gwensews said...

Congratulations on qualifying. And, good luck.

Dana said...

Congrats on the fashion show and welcome back to the world of work! I started almost two weeks ago and have only sewn for about 45min. since.

Dawn said...

Wow, congratulations on the entry. Your Chanel jacket is looking great. I love the colors you chose.

julia said...

You have had a life changing summer with all of the things your children, husband, and you have accomplished! The jacket is looking amazing!

Gorgeous Things said...

It's looking fabulous!!!!

amber said...

I love the colors you picked for the jacket - I'm sure it's going to be gorgeous when it's all done! And congrats on qualifying for the fashion show. :)

Meg said...

Wow, you have made such great progress on this jacket! Hang in there for the hand sewing. I find I don't mind it so much anymore, and I appreciate the control it gives you. Couture, baby, couture!