Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I'm trying to be productive...

Sunday was spent doing embroidery business (10 shirts for a local daycare) and grading papers. I debated my next project (started and ended a wadder quickly), and went through my patterns looking for something fun and not too time consuming. I couldn't decide between the Vogue skirt (simple straight version above), using some brown tweed wool... (I could really use a nice brown skirt for work! I also like the side gathered version, but have some really nice herringbone from NYC that is a better weight for the gathers than this nubby, stiff wool. The Ambiance lining is all cut out (from my wadder project this weekend), too. )

Or this Simplicity vest pattern (stupid Simplicity website won't let me copy the envelope picture), using a leather skin I've had from Ressy's co-op for months. I like the one pictured center and right...
Now that Martha is up and running (video to come soon), I'm thinking I'm ready to try my hand at leather! It's just over 7 sq. ft, so I have enough for the back yoke and the collar. How do I get the fold creases out???

Tonite I had 3 more embriodery jobs (after running the kids to karate, cleaning the kitchen, and throwing in a load of laundry), so I only had time to cut the tweed for the skirt. I'm looking for the perfect black wool suiting for the vest, and should probably muslin it to perfect the fit and check the reviews at PR while I'm preparing. I'd like to use Sommerset's "30 min. per day" strategy, so maybe by the weekend I'll have the skirt done... One can only hope!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

That skirt pattern has been calling to me....although with my hips I can't see calling attention to them with some gathers...but all the same, every time I see that pattern in my stash I pick it up and want to sew it. I should just make a muslin already.

Anonymous said...

That vest will be HOT! I wore a vest to work yesterday that I've had in my closet for over a year. I loved how it looked, and I'm now vest obsessed! I bought a McCall's vest pattern last night.

Looking forward to seeing how you sew with the leather. It's kind of intimidating to me. Let us know how it goes!

judy said...

Good luck finding the time to sew! I am amazed you have time to get the embroidery stuff done with your schedule, much less add sewing to it too!! :) Looking forward to seeing your skirt!

amber said...

I have that skirt pattern in my stash. I'm excited to see your finished product!

Bunny said...

Watching this leather project closely. Can't wait to see it upon completion.

Gail said...

A little effort each day will get you there in the end. Love the skirt pattern and the leather is very nice quality.

Trudy said...

I love your sweater knit vest in the below post.

Kathi said...

Can't wait to see the skirt. A nice, basic skirt like that is always a must! The one with the side details is so cute, though!
You know, I am not a vest person. I have never really liked them, even as a child. I look at them and think they look cute on others. I have bought them in the past and then not worn them because I just don't like them once I put them on in the morning. I have no idea why I have such an aversion to wearing them.
I look forward to seeing your progress with the leather. Do you have a leather or rolling foot?