Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Student of Project Runway

To say that I'm a fan of Project Runway is a serious understatement.  I have every season on DVD, and never miss a Thursday night (Hi, Michelle! *wave*).  I've had the pleasure of meeting Chloe Dao (Season 2 winner), and am trying to figure out a way to get a signed copy of Laura Bennett's upcoming book...

Addiction would probably be the best description, really.

So, as I've been working on a new blouse for myself, I've heard voices in my head.
Tim Gunn: "That's a lot of look."
Michael: "You need to be careful with an animal print like that."
Heidi: "I like that your taking a risk and trying to "Wow" us..."
Nina: *Snickering and shaking her head* "Sigh...."

I've never made or worn an animal print before, so I might be more nervous than necessary.  I'm stepping outside the box here, and you know we become overly critical at those times.

I'm using the January 2010 Burda, with the tunic pattern that was "Make 1, Take 4" that month, after seeing this review on PR.  Dawn had also made up the dress version, and both were so cute, I was sold.
I really like the lace-up drawstring front, and the gathered sleeves are cute.  I thought the design in combination with the print would make for a fun blouse to wear at work or for a night out.  But, as I attached the sleeves last night, the voices started...
Season 3 of PR, episode 10.  The Black and White Cocktail Dress Challenge.
Uli Herzner made a short dress that had long sleeves, and the hem of the dress was the same length as the sleeves.  It looked awful, and the judges made it clear that  by shortening the sleeves slightly (3/4 length) it made for a whole new (lighter) look.  So, as I hesitantly tried this top on, that's what immediately came to mind.  The sleeves are too long.
What do you think? I've already cut a new set of cuffs, but maybe I'm wrong...
Or is the whole thing a wadder???

Oh, and the embroidery continues.  31 done, 19 to go...

20 comments:

Marybeth said...

I like the print a lot, and the style of the blouse is really pretty. Picture it with a black pencil skirt and the belt, or with a pair of jeans... Make it work! (I wanted to be the 1st person to leave you with that quote - I'm sure many others will say it too!) PS - My sister and I are also BIG fans of PR, and she met Tim Gunn - just walking down the street one night in NYC - and he was really friendly and posed for a picture with her!

Anonymous said...

I made B5242, and I get compliments on it every time I wear it. I just need to wear a tank top underneath- it's pretty low.

bubbygigi said...

I like the print and the style should be very comfortable for teaching. It looks like you'll easily be able to raise your arm to write on the chalkboard. I don't think that I'd belt the blouse with such a heavy belt. Visually, that disturbs me. Otherwise, I like the blouse and the sleeves are fine also.

Kim said...

I may be biased because I love animal print and wear it a lot, but I think this looks great!

Karen said...

What a great print! Personally, I like the belt. It's hard to say if the sleeves would be better shortened without seeing it on you, but I think its a wonderful and fun topper and will be so versatile, too.

Faye Lewis said...

I know exactly what you mean about stepping out of the box and wearing something new to you. I love your animal print and the style of the tunic. I like it belted and un, but belted better. I see what you mean about the sleeve and the length. I'd say leave this one as it is and shorten the sleeves of your next one.

Maryissewfast said...

I think you can totally rock it! Pair it with that leather vest you did and own it! Yay for knocking out the embroidery...I feel so good when I get a "big" order done! :)

Dawn said...

I love it with the belt. A short black skirt and heels . . . yowza! Do it!

gwensews said...

I think it's great. I love an animal print. It's always in fashion!

KID, MD said...

I think it's fabulous!! I love it belted, and I'm with Dawn - you'd rock it with a black mini and heels - woo hoo! I do think shorter sleeves would be better, but I prefer 3/4 sleeves, so that may be my own bias talking.

Anonymous said...

I think it will look great... just keep the accessories low-key and it will totally work!

meg said...

I like the print with that style a lot but I think it's your personal preference for the sleeve length. Sometimes fashion has to give to comfort!

Audrey said...

I think the combination of the print with a simple tunic style blouse is great. It can be worn so many ways. Try pushing the sleeves up to 3/4 length and see how you like it

JoanneM said...

Looks great!!!!! I love animal print!!!

Kathi said...

I would use the belt and then the sleeve/length thing wouldn't be an issue any more! The belt would make the length of the shirt shorter than the length of the sleeves! Plus, you are comparing what was said about a dress to what you are going to wear as a top -- completely different things.
I think it looks great!! As I read the comments about wearing it with a black skirt and heels, all I could think was that I no longer own heels!!!

Mariela Alethia said...

I love animal print. The sleeves are fine. Just keep everything else simple. The belt is too heavy, maybe a thinner belt. How about a red patent leather red belt about 1-1.5 inches wide with black slacks or a black pencil skirt. Keep accesories simple.

Bunny said...

I love it. I think 3/4 sleeves compliment everyone and they certainly add to the comfort factor. For school, black pencil skirt, a bit lighter but biggish belt, and shorter sleeves. Night on the town. Stillettos, black jeans, and watch out Momma!

Carol said...

I love animal print and I agree with Dawn: black skirt and heels. It's a classic look and you've got the figure for it.

Eugenia said...

This is a great style - I've got it on my 'to do' list. I love the fabric - the black and white animal print is great.

amber said...

Love the print and the style. I agree that paired with a black fitted skirt and heels it's going to be one hot little outfit!