Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sewing Anger Management

If only he was holding a seam ripper...

So, I have a temper.  The first step is admitting there's a problem, right? RIGHT????
Sunday found me working on a new fire dept. logo for St. Patrick's Day...
Really cool, huh? One guy's idea has lead to multiple orders, so that's the bright side.
The down side is that this baby has a million stitches, and takes 40 minutes to stitch out.  Ok, less than a million, but it really does take 40 minutes, on my super big fast 6 thread machine.  No kidding.

So, when I realized that I had (stupidly) forgotten to rotate the design on a sweatshirt this weekend, I was angry.  Really mad at myself for forgetting to rotate the logo, and really really mad that I was going to have to rip out half a million stitches.  Really. Really. Mad.  The only thing worse than ripping out stitches, is ripping out really tiny stitches.  Out of a lofty fleece.  With multiple layers of stitching.  (Here comes the bad part...)

My sewing space is in the basement, which also houses some exercise equipment.  Like my punching bag.  So, I threw a few punches into the bag.  And a few kicks.  And some more punches.  At that point, I felt that the rage was gone, and I could handle some quality time with the seam ripper.  When I came upstairs, my son looked at me and said, "Mumma!  What was all that noise??"  Oops...  I removed the necessary stitches (not the whole logo, and it wasn't too awful [Yes, it was.]), and continued stitching out the logo, and ended it ended up looking pretty decent (except for the F on the right).  Decent enough to lead to more orders, so it ended up fine, I thought...
Monday I was a little sore, like I had a good workout.  Tuesday I was a little more sore, and thought "Geez.  I really must've been a little more aggressive than I thought."  This morning (at 4am) I woke to an awful pain in my back, and couldn't get comfortable. 2 doses of Ibuprofen later, it still feels like someone is constantly sticking their finger into my shoulder blade really hard, and deep breaths bring on slight chest pain. The knot has stayed with me all day, and I'm hoping a hot shower will help make it go away.

The moral of the story is: when you screw up while your sewing, fighting isn't the answer. Punching bags don't belong in sewing rooms.  Oh, and don't make me angy when I'm sewing.  You won't like me when I'm angry...

Embroidery has kept me very busy, and this week has been a real bugger at work, so I will update you Sunday on the Prom Dress and other Pretties, m'kay? Kay!  Hope all of you are finding nothing but success and happiness in your current sewing spaces.  Play nice with your projects, now...

7 comments:

Beangirl said...

So you're saying I shouldn't move the punching bag from the garage into the sewing room? Darn! I thought that was a good idea.

Ruth said...

Go see a doctor IMMEDIATELY. You have symptoms of thrombosis and your pain may have nothing at all to do with your work out. The breathlessness cannot possibly be due to a past workout. Don't stop. Go now.

Unknown said...

UPDATE: The hot shower did wonders! I feel so much better today, just a little twinge now and then. Thanks for your concern, though!

Maryissewfast said...

Oh Kristine, I feel your pain...well, not literally, but I have had embroidery orders that I have done things like that too...or forget to change colors back if the design is more than 6 colors. Hate to rip out! I usually buy one or two extras of whatever I'm doing as insurance. Tom can always use another fire sweatshirt or T shirt!!! Hope your pain is gone soon!

L said...

Ouch! When I have sewing mishaps, I get angry and curse-y. Ultimately, I end up ditching the project for a while (weeks) and having chocolate. =)

I hope your back feels better. You're the fourth person (myself included) who's had some serious back issues this week.

amber said...

Whoops! I'm glad you were able to get out your aggression, but sorry that it had some unintended consequences. ;)

Btw, those sweatshirts look great! I'm such a sucker for kelly green against navy blue. Nice work!

sanjeet said...

! I thought that was a good idea.
data entry work from home