Thursday, October 20, 2011

It's My Lucky Day!

Everyone I work with knows that I sew, and how much I love it. Yesterday one of our art teachers approached me, saying a box of old patterns had been donated by a former student (her grandmother was a seamstress), and would I like to look through them? Maybe make a donation to the art department? Yes, ma'am! Absolutely!!!


So, this morning I headed down to her room, where she pulled out a cardboard filing drawer, slid it open and... I swear I heard a chorus of angels and a beam of light shone down! Not only were there vintage Vogue, McCalls and Butterick, but some Advance and Marian Martins! There were boys, men's, babies, dolls, and hat patterns... Even a Ken Doll clothing pattern! The women's patterns were mainly sizes 14-16 (perfect for me), and lots of dresses that were just my style.

I grabbed 20 of my favorites, but had trouble leaving the rest behind. When she told me that she took the "ones in bad shape" and let the kids use the tissue for decoupage, I almost fainted!! I am considering making her an offer on the whole box, so she is holding it for me, and won't let the kids touch them (thank goodness). I didn't have enough time to check them all, but the ones I opened were all cut, and I am assuming all the pieces are there, but again, I don't know.

What is a fair price? The box probably had 80-100 patterns in it, all in various conditions (asnyou can see above), circa early 50s - 70s.

What do you think?????

10 comments:

Maryissewfast said...

I think make that gal an offer and take the patterns and run! :)

sdBev said...

I used to pick up boxes of patterns for $5. But old patterns are suddenly collectibles and deemed too dear to part with for such paltry sums. But then they will sell to me for 25 cents each. At that price I go through the box and only pick the best for me.

If you sell, you might offer to give a percentage of your net profit. It's actually time consuming to post these things for sale. The good thing is they aren't expnsive to ship.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Who's getting the money? If it's the school, I would pay $1 per pattern because it's something that would help out. If it's the family offer $10-20 for the box, they will think they got a great deal. But do what you think is right and can afford.

onix said...

Sí, realmente has tenido suerte

Carol said...

I bought 3 boxes (AVON supply boxes) of vintage patterns at an estate sale for $25.00 total.

Meg said...

I have no idea what price to suggest, but you LUCKY, LUCKY DOG! (Well, not too lucky, since the Tigers lost.)

annie said...

I agree with Carolyn. Some sites charge much more than that but the ones they sell are mostly uncut. What a fine donation to the art department as well since these areas have fallen by the wayside in the "recession."

Jo said...

You could always start by asking what she'd want for it.

Here's an ebay auction I was watching with 52 patterns from the 1960's. It's at $10 with 7 hours remaining.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-52-Vintage-60s-girls-Childrens-Dress-clothing-sewing-patterns-lot-/350499353346?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D3615399286166896223#ht_500wt_1204

Gail said...

Lucky girl indeed! The ones that you've shown are just lovely.

Brandy Layton said...

Depending on who is getting the money I would pay $1.00 per pattern, if it is just the family I would pay anywhere between $15.00 and $30.00 for the box of them. That is how I approach them when I go in for the buy. Hope that helps!