Thursday, October 17, 2013

Long Overdue Jacket!

I've been finished with this jacket for a couple of weeks, but haven't had a chance to blog, photograph, or wear it (it's been a warm October in Michigan until now).  But, today was the day!  I thought it would be fun to hold my "photo shoot" in my classroom, with the assistance of a couple senior girls that were happy to take a few minutes to help!  When you also consider that I've had plans to make this jacket for 4 years, that really makes this "Long Overdue"!
AP Statistics... both fashionable and interesting!
Pattern Description:Simplicity 2284
Misses' & Miss petite lined jacket in two lengths with trim variations… separate patterns included for A, B, C, D cup sizes. American Sewing Guild. I used view D (skipped the zipper closure), but switched to a 3/4 sleeve. I wish I had paid closer attention and used the sleeve with the button placket, though. I'll use it on my next version for sure, although the buttons clicking on the desk top when I'm writing might bug me.  Here's the back view... I hate that I didn't think to match the plaid. Ugh!

Pattern Sizing: As stated above, there is sizing for cups A, B, C, and D, which is nice. I cut the size 14 according to the finished garment measurements, and with a small adjustment in the waist, it's spot on.

Fabrics and Trim Used:
-2 yards of tweed purchased in New York (4 years ago) from Paron Fabrics.
-2 yards of silver silk charmeuse from Gorgeous Fabrics.
-4 yards of trim (black with tiny bead and metal chains) from Joann Fabrics
-2 buttons from Etsy. I have many more, as I was going to use them along the center front. Undecided on that...
It was well received by all ages today! Lots of girls were asking if I made it, and one told me that it looked like it came from "White House, Black Market". I'll take that as a compliment! It was so comfortable to wear, and the weight is just right for not being too warm.  Here's a peek at the silky lining inside.
Overall, I'm loving the way it turned out and will decide whether or not more silver buttons on the front will be a good addition. The fringe was not too hard to do at all (1" wide, bias cut strips), and really gives it the RTW look I was after. I know it's not the "couture" jacket that Susan Khalje taught me how to make, but I'm ok with that. No one in my circles knows any differently! In all honesty, I like this one better than my old one! I have the fabric and lining for my next version, and then I will be giving this pattern a rest, for along time!

On the table is a different jacket nearing the finish line, and I'm really excited about it! Leather + Sweater Knit + Metal = Awesome. Give me another week to ten days, and I'll have that posted here, too!

No comments: